Um, so I suck and I don’t check my email often, but around the beginning of the month I got nominated for the Liebster award so that’s neat and teaches people about new blogs that are a tad smaller, so I dig it. I don’t know the blogger who nominated me on a personal level and so I think that’s even cooler.
I was nominated by Mentally (Un)qualified (who is really Chelsea) who runs a similar blog to mine, chatting often about illness but also chats about other things because like all spoonies, she is a human who is more than her illnesses. (Some people are surprised by that!?). She actually posts regularly which is incredible on it’s own, but what is better is that in those posts she is incredibly honest. She acknowledges parts of herself that we often find hard to share, things like suicidal thoughts, but are necessary to share if we want to create a safer and compassionate world. She talks about the dark and the light, and provides a safe balance of the two which is something that can be difficult when dealing with topics like mental illness, and the political climate.
These are the questions she asked me to answer:
- Why did you decide to start a blog?
I started Raelee Rowen because I find it incredibly more therapeutic to spill my frustrations or thoughts and share them with the void of the internet, than it is to keep them in a diary. Writing in a more public format pushes me to be more vulnerable, and to try new things. I wanted somewhere to talk about thoughts and books and my health, and I wanted something more than just ranting to my friends and loved ones.
- What is your favorite passion that helps you relax?
I am a perfectionist, with a habit of overloading myself. So something to remedy the stress that that comes with is to organize things. For most of my life I will rearrange my room every couple months, I go through and take bags of trash and unwanted stuff out, and it always feels so much better afterwards. If I’m not feeling overloaded and I have time to relax that I don’t feel should be used for something “productive,” then I read!
- Best concert you’ve ever been to?
I saw Allie X this past August up in Canada. She is an incredible performer and draws every single person in. She pours her heart and soul into her music, and she’s incredibly humble. (She smells nice too, but like not in a creepy way. She initiated the hug).
- Which animal do you feel you are most like?
Honestly, I think I am a dog. I am loyal to the ones who support me. I can read emotions of others really well. I need to be petted and fed regularly. I love wearing sweaters and making people happy. I too will bark if I get scared or don’t like something.
- If you could live anywhere, where would you live and why?
I would live in Paris. I love the history, I love the food, I love the bustle, I love the museums. I love the concept of me saying “I live in Paris.” It’s a good concept.
- Favorite guilty pleasure snack?
I sometimes drink the pickle juice straight from the jar if I’m PMSing. I don’t really feel guilty about that though. OOH, sometimes I’ll eat A LOT of hot cheese even though it’s going to make me sick and then I usually regret it. Doesn’t stop me though.
- What movie makes you cry every time you watch it?
About Time. I absolutely love this movie, and I will cry every single time. I’ve seen it at least 10 times. Doesn’t matter.
- If you were stranded on a deserted island, what 3 things would you need most?
I would need a neverending supply of books, I would need the GF, and I would need a comfy chair. And coffee that never makes me sick.
I’m not great at these questions.
- What is your biggest fear?
- What is your favorite memory?
There was one wintery evening ma and I ate fried clams and played scrabble with a fire blaring and the rain pouring down outside. I think I was 9ish.
I suppose this is where I would list the questions I want you to answer, but I really don’t have time for that, as much as I love you. So just answer the same questions, because she came up with really good ones.
I don’t read a ton of blogs, I’ve always been more of a physical book person, but I do know some spectacular writers that I think everyone should know about so I am nominating them I guess, and if thats breaking the rules then I guess I’ll be a rebel for the first time ever.
1. Will is a coworker of mine. He writes very beautifully, and I am very envious of how casually he can use the language and rhythm that he does. He writes about mental illness and faith and life. You can find him here.
2. Sarah is a traveler, and she writes mainly about her travels and covers everything from how she affords it, to what it’s like to travel alone as a woman. She is incredible and honest and just as enthusiastic in her writing as she is in person. You’ll find her here.
3. Sean is one of the two people I know who has published a book and that makes him one of the coolest writers I know (writing a book is no easy feat, let alone getting it published). He writes about all sorts of things and has various blogs, so here is a good place to start. He’s written about divorce, cycling, brewing beer, books, etc. He’s got some spectacular stories and a big heart.
So, these are the guidelines for the award:
- Thank the person who nominated you, and put a link to their blog on your blog. Try to include a little promotion for the person who nominated you. They will thank you for it and those who you nominate will also help you out as well.
- Display the award on your blog — by including it in your post and/or displaying it using a “widget” or a “gadget”. (Note that the best way to do this is to save the image to your own computer and then upload it to your blog post.)
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favourite blog that is not your own. Explain why you like the blog, provide links.
- Provide 10 random facts about yourself. (This year I’m making this optional. If you wish to engage with your readers it’s a great idea to include random facts about you.)
- Nominate 5 – 11 blogs that you feel deserve the award, who have less than 200 followers. (Note that you can always ask the blog owner this since not all blogs display a widget that lets the readers know this information!)
- List these rules in your post (you can copy and paste from here or simply link to this post). Once you have written and published it, you then have to…
- ….Inform the people/blogs that you nominated that they have been nominated for the Liebster award and provide a link for them, if you don’t have all the information so that they can learn about it (they might not have ever heard of it)! Post a comment in the comments below (on the website https://theglobalaussie.com/blog/liebster-award-2017/ ) so Jack Henry can view your post and check out your blog. Jack Henry personally visits each and every blog. He visited a few hundred last year!
Thank giant you to Chelsea again!! Now I really have to go finish my homework!